Friday 25 March 2011

2001-2010 A decade building my own musical instruments.




(Click on photos to enlarge)


As promised as soon as the weather was nice I lugged all my instruments in the garden to photograph them.
It kind of looks like an outdoor music shop but none are for sale, that's not why I built them- well ok one!
L to R Oldest to newest
Mosrite copy/Elelctric 12 string ("Lady V")/Mando Guitar/Mando Guitar ("Bluey")/ The "Les Pew" (made from a Slaugham church pew)/Octave banjo guitar thing!?/Headless Bass/ Cigar box Ukulele? Diddley Bow/ Mountain Dulcimer
Notice how they get more folksy and cheaper to build as time goes on! Also it always seems that at any time half of them need new strings!
Note there is no acoustic guitar! This has to be put right! I've been mulling over designs in my head for a few years now and can visualize the finished article! Conventional it isn't! The wood is already in my work shop!

4 comments:

  1. Well done, Andy. Fantastic, all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the shapes and colors! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! How satisfying it must be to see your work all lined up together, so lovely. Beautiful Work!
    x,s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your nice comments! In the next post I'll do a brief review for each instrument, scoring them from 1- 10 for playability, quality and sound, whilst trying to be impartial as I can! Some builds where more successful than others. But then it's the only way to learn.
    From the photo which do you think will score high....or low?

    ReplyDelete