Saturday 2 February 2013

The perils of Danish oil


I wanted to make my guitar look pretty and make the body colour match the neck so I decided to apply some danish oil as this was far easier to apply than varnish, I had heard not being hard like a varnish that it could effect the sound quality but considered my box guitar to lowly for it to notice WHAT A MISTAKE! The moment I wiped some across the sound board it was like my strings had aged a year or two! Instant mahogany to plywood! I know it hasn't had a chance to dry yet but  I've already unstrung it and scraped down the top under the strings and intend to do the rest in time,the top is super thick so it isn't exactly risky and  hopefully it will start to improve once the oil has dried a bit more. 
 --------------------------- That was on Tuesday, last night (Friday) it had improved a little but not back to anything like how it was but I took it out to an acoustic open floor night but was glad I took an amp bcz it was almost inaudible even in a quiet venue like that. But through an amp it sounded GREAT and got encouraging comments from other players, I think I have a new main gigging guitar!

2 comments:

  1. It sounded good in your YouTube video, "Only Living Boy in New York".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might want to consider shellac next time. It's cheap and has never let me down ;-)

    ReplyDelete